UnevenEdge

Could *Insert shitty show here* be headed to Toonami?

OwlChemist81

11 hours ago, elfie said:

I hope! ... didn't we have this show on this thread before?

I don't think so but its getting hard to keep track. I did Gate, Overlord, Tanya and a few other recent hits, I don't think i did this one.

Nope first appearance on this thread.

Edited by Daos

14 hours ago, Daos said:

Could "Where are the Goblins" be coming to Toonami???

Them passing on it for Promised Neverland is probably indicative of a new strategy where they avoid the shows that light up the internet in favor of shining a spotlight on the lesser known.

I wouldn't say Goblin Slayer is off the table yet. Toonami is well known for getting shows (Tokyo Ghoul, et al.) long after their peaks of popularity. I wouldn't doubt that this show is still on their minds, and if it does air, the worst content is in the first episode (to my knowledge), so it wouldn't be very problematic after that. And at any rate, it would pail in comparison to the controversy Shield Hero were to bring up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jman said:

Them passing on it for Promised Neverland is probably indicative of a new strategy where they avoid the shows that light up the internet in favor of shining a spotlight on the lesser known.

DeMarco did say that they "no longer want this to just be a shonen block" (FIIIINALLY!!!) and branch out into other genres like they did with Pop Team Epic, so The Promised Neverland is a good next step because it's more of a tense, quiet thriller/horror series in the same vain as Death Note, but Demon Slayer has elements of slice of life too.

1 hour ago, PokeNirvash said:

Or Durarara!! It did terrible ratings in the last year of ACTN's existence, but I'd be lying if I said watching it week by week with a crowd more accepting of the second half than the anime blog made up of people from OA wasn't a damn good time.

They didn't even air the second season .. Though that's more because the rights got snatched by someone else.

Just now, elfie said:

I dunno. I know nothing about it. But any anime about Nobunaga is bound to have action in it.

It's about a teacher named Nobunaga who is visited by the time-traveling wife of the real Oda Nobunaga. Because the teacher is technically a descendant of the Oda family, she mistakes him for her timeline's Nobunaga and demands him to marry and court with her. The kicker is that, because she was married at the age of 15, she's come to the present day as a 15-year-old girl. The rest of the show will focus on Nobunaga avoiding her advances as he tries to find a way to send her back.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, imchapp.in said:

It's about a teacher named Nobunaga who is visited by the time-traveling wife of the real Oda Nobunaga. Because the teacher is technically a descendant of the Oda family, she mistakes him for her timeline's Nobunaga and demands him to marry and court with her. The kicker is that, because she was married at the age of 15, she's come to the present day as a 15-year-old girl. The rest of the show will focus on Nobunaga avoiding her advances as he tries to find a way to send her back.

That sounds awful. Can I just watch anime where the MC's little sister writes dirty novels and wants him to bang her instead?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PokeNirvash said:

Assuming Netflix allows any of their original anime to be syndicated on other networks a la Bojack Horseman, the only one I want on Toonami is Kuromukuro.

Well that is probably the best original mecha anime they have so far besides Knights of Sidonia, even if it does take a lot of its cues from InuYasha.

8 hours ago, Jman said:

...No.  Now this is just getting silly.

Getting silly? The entire thread started with Angel Links.

It's almost like you think Kiss x Sis has a better chance of airing on Toonami than Netflix shows.

Edited by Daos
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

True, you have a point there. I personally don't mind getting Mob 2 later than we should, but damn, Demarco really shot himself in the foot by not using the Toonami-Crunchyroll partnership to get first dibs.

Remember when he first heard that news, we all thought DeMarco would try to use that to his advantage. He even stated in his last Toonami Faithful Podcast interview that he wanted to. "Toonami will be closer to Crunchyroll's main outlet for anime on cable TV."

On 4/25/2019 at 10:38 PM, elfie said:

Well, the dubbed episode of Mob Psycho 100 Season 2 is now online, which means if Toonami ever gets it, it will not be a dub premiere.  Sucks.

Hmmm, this is quite strange. Guess I'll just watch it on VRV for now!

I guess if Toonami's expand on 5/25, Mob Season 2 COULD join AOT. But of course it will not be a dub premiere. It will be about as far behind as Black Clover was to begin with.

• Like 1

Just now, CaptainStarwind said:

God, I fucking wish.  Whatever happened to DeMarco and his whole "anime other than action" on Toonami?

We got Pop and Megalo Box so I guess that counts. Slice of life is still a faraway dream.

4 minutes ago, Daos said:

We got Pop and Megalo Box so I guess that counts. Slice of life is still a faraway dream.

Unfortunately, I think you're right.  I doubt Toonami will ever go far out of their comfort zone so as to air slice of life.

If they did, though, I'd definitely watch.  More than I'm currently watching, anyway.

Demarco's strict tastes are part of the reason I make my own schedules featuring anime I watch/would like on TV. Here's one such hypothetical schedule from the extremely lengthy collection of all the anime I log TV ratings, both official and non, for:

mbfKKXP.png

Edited by PokeNirvash
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Daos said:

Megalo Box was still pretty action-y, even as a sports series.

10 hours ago, Daos said:

We don't even have Isekai or Harem and that stuff pretty much prints money in the West. Unless you count SAO as Isekai. 

Well yeah, SAO is pretty much the ur-isekai.

• Like 1