UnevenEdge

Resident Evil 7

Chapinator_X

It's a good game, but it's not really a Resident Evil game.

I'll be disappointed if they keep doing the series in the 1st person style.  The point of the 1st person perspective is to supplant the player into the protagonist.  But the Resident Evil series (and including 7) is based around characters and the story built around them.  That works best in 3rd person perspective.  You get to see the character and what they went through.  I found that in this game, I found myself losing immersion in the game due to playing it from my perspective but then forced into another character you never see nor get a personality read off of.  Ethan has no personality and it hurts the narrative.

This style of 1st person perspective works great for games like Fallout or Elder Scrolls, where you literally build your own character, but in games where you play a certain character in an over-arcing story, it fails.  Example: what happens if you were a woman playing this game?  You're forced to play as a man, following the story of him trying to find his wife.  A woman is probably not going to relate to that.  This game only works for certain people.  Unlike the rest of the series, where you're simply watching the adventures of Chris, Jill, Leon, Claire, etc.

Overall, I give it a:

tumblr_o8xmx4IM1z1rs6286o1_400.gif

The game is alright, but some issues I have with it keep it from being good.

Spoilers

First off they confused the hell out of a lot of people with the timeline. All the interviews said that this wasn't a prequel or a reboot, but at the end of the game you are talking with a young Chris Redfield who still is working in S.T.A.R.S for Umbrella. 

The choice in the game on who to "cure" is dumb.  Capcom didn't really make Zoe an engaging enough of a character to want to give her the cure.  It would also make no sense as of that point in the game for the character to not try and help his wife. The only way I could see the choice going against the Wife is if the Zoe character were a pre-existing character that players are already attached to ie Clair, Ada, Ashley, etc. However that wouldn't make sense for the character as well if this is a prequel then it wouldn't make sense timeline wise either.  Either way the choice only changed two cut scenes, of how you got onto the ship, and if you escape with your wife. If you do pick Zoe, you still play as the wife in the ship. She will even say she doesn't know how she got here.  That is some lazy ass writing in the name of plot progression. 

The trap room with the clown is bullshit. The only way to get the password is to die...That is so damn 4th wall breaking. It would be interesting if that were a part of the game where you can revive like in Bio-shocks vita chamber. However this doesn't have that. It's Resident evil the characters aren't supposed to instantly know these things.

The game is too short, and I know what they are doing and it's bullshit. This is going to play out like RE6. A bunch of anthology missions that are happening in the same area, but from a different perspective.  The good thing about that in RE 6 was that it was free and part of the game. With 7 though they are releasing each of these parts as a DLC.  7 would be like if you only had one scenario from RE6 and no other ones. It also reflects in the length of the game, the Average playtime is 5-8 hrs. I have seen some people speedrun the game in less than two (not even a glitch run).  This I think is really the worst part of the game, just capcom being greedy assholes. 

The game is alright, but some issues I have with it keep it from being good.

Spoilers

First off they confused the hell out of a lot of people with the timeline. All the interviews said that this wasn't a prequel or a reboot, but at the end of the game you are talking with a young Chris Redfield who still is working in S.T.A.R.S for Umbrella. 

The choice in the game on who to "cure" is dumb.  Capcom didn't really make Zoe an engaging enough of a character to want to give her the cure.  It would also make no sense as of that point in the game for the character to not try and help his wife. The only way I could see the choice going against the Wife is if the Zoe character were a pre-existing character that players are already attached to ie Clair, Ada, Ashley, etc. However that wouldn't make sense for the character as well if this is a prequel then it wouldn't make sense timeline wise either.  Either way the choice only changed two cut scenes, of how you got onto the ship, and if you escape with your wife. If you do pick Zoe, you still play as the wife in the ship. She will even say she doesn't know how she got here.  That is some lazy ass writing in the name of plot progression. 

The trap room with the clown is bullshit. The only way to get the password is to die...That is so damn 4th wall breaking. It would be interesting if that were a part of the game where you can revive like in Bio-shocks vita chamber. However this doesn't have that. It's Resident evil the characters aren't supposed to instantly know these things.

The game is too short, and I know what they are doing and it's bullshit. This is going to play out like RE6. A bunch of anthology missions that are happening in the same area, but from a different perspective.  The good thing about that in RE 6 was that it was free and part of the game. With 7 though they are releasing each of these parts as a DLC.  7 would be like if you only had one scenario from RE6 and no other ones. It also reflects in the length of the game, the Average playtime is 5-8 hrs. I have seen some people speedrun the game in less than two (not even a glitch run).  This I think is really the worst part of the game, just capcom being greedy assholes. 

The timeline is pretty simple.  It takes place in 2017, four years after the events of Resident Evil 6.  They seem to just have used different facial modeling for Chris (probably due to the new great facial renders that the RE Engine gave).  One, S.T.A.R.S. was never officially connected to Umbrella nor did S.T.A.R.S. operate outside of Raccoon City (they were a special task force made for the city, not for distribution across the country).  Two, if you noticed the Umbrella Corp. logo is now almost entirely different.

re7-umbrella-chopper.jpg

The Umbrella is now blue and white and surrounded by the outline of a shield.  To me it looks like Chris either formed or at least works for a resurrected Umbrella Corporation, which now seems to be saving people from bioweapons instead of making them (hence, the shield).

Yeah, the choice was stupid.  Why make us choose?  There was no point to it.

I liked the Happy Birthday video.  It was like an escape room.  Well, it wouldn't be the 1st time RE broke the 4th wall like that.

There's no evidence that they're doing that.  We have no idea what Chris's DLC will be.  And we already know the names of the upcoming DLC.  We've already gotten Nightmare, Bedroom, and Ethan Must Die as part of the Banned Footage Vol 1 DLC.  Nightmare and Bedroom follow cameraman Clancy Jarvis (the one who was with the TV show guys and who later died in the birthday video) in a couple of mini-game type DLCs.  One is surviving Molded and Jack by advancing and purchasing weapons and ammo through "scrap currency".  Bedroom is another escape room like the birthday video.  Ehtan Must Die is basically Dark Souls on steroids.  You're gonna die constantly and it seems catered to the most masochistic of RE fans.

The DLC that hasn't been released yet is 21, Daughters, and Jack's 55th Birthday.  No idea what to make of those but they'll probably get released in a Banned Footage Vol. 2 DLC pack.  And of course, Chris's Not a Hero DLC.

It's been a few weeks since I beat it.

Now that I think about it, I found things I didn't like.

The fact that choosing Mia over Zoe led to a "meh" ending, whereas the sad ending when I picked Zoe had more weight to it. Made me feel like I wasted my time with my second playthrough after saving the former over the latter.

I also thought Evelyn was a lame cop-out to explain the existence of the Molded. Spooky girls are an overused horror trope, and it made the mines and the wrecked ship sequences my least favorite parts of the game. Not good....because those are the last areas in RE7. Final boss was anti-climactic as well.

It's been a few weeks since I beat it.

Now that I think about it, I found things I didn't like.

The fact that choosing Mia over Zoe led to a "meh" ending, whereas the sad ending when I picked Zoe had more weight to it. Made me feel like I wasted my time with my second playthrough after saving the former over the latter.

I also thought Evelyn was a lame cop-out to explain the existence of the Molded. Spooky girls are an overused horror trope, and it made the mines and the wrecked ship sequences my least favorite parts of the game. Not good....because those are the last areas in RE7. Final boss was anti-climactic as well.

Agreed.

The only good part of

Eveline

in the game was when

she

was first "seen" from the calfs down in the Old House segment.  But it's probably due to all the lights going out and The Molded appearing everywhere.

The Ship and the Salt Mines were easy for me.  Once you find ammo in the ship, you never run out.  And by the time you play as Ethan again, I had a shit-ton of ammo for every weapon (maybe due to me for being conservative with ammo for most of the game).  I switched to the shotgun and had more than enough ammo for every enemy for the rest of the game.

Yeah, the final boss seemed to be more cinematic than anything else.  I actually never used the Magnum, having saved it for the final boss, but not realizing that there were no Item Boxes after the Fat Man Duo fight, I never got to retrieve it.