UnevenEdge

A nice Sunday dinner.

Rogue_Alphonse

Packard.

Your "hot enclosure" theory is horrible.

Grills add flavor. You can properly sear a steak with a grill, then let it cook just enough to keep it medium-rare (which is what I prefer.)

When you broil or roast a steak, it turns it into rubber. The fat does not burn off as well. There is no flavor being cooked into it.

On warmer days, I do not use a "hot enclosure". I sear the steak on both sides, then turn the grill down or spread the coals and close the lid to get it up to temp, but keeping it at a medium rare.

"hot enclosures" are good for meatloaf or chicken or cookies.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rogue_Alphonse said:

Packard.

Grills add flavor. You can properly sear a steak with a grill, then let it cook just enough to keep it medium-rare (which is what I prefer.)

When you broil or roast a steak, it turns it into rubber. The fat does not burn off as well. There is no flavor being cooked into it.

On warmer days, I do not use a "hot enclosure". I sear the steak on both sides, then turn the grill down or spread the coals and close the lid to get it up to temp, but keeping it at a medium rare.

Oh, so you like a little creosote with your dinner.

8 minutes ago, Rogue_Alphonse said:

Packard.

The only time you put a steak in the oven is after you sear it in a heavy bottom pan and that is only for a few minutes. Any person roasting a steak only in the oven is a moron who hates food.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, stilgar said:

The only time you put a steak in the oven is after you sear it in a heavy bottom pan and that is only for a few minutes. Any person roasting a steak only in the oven is a moron who hates food.

So, I should use my Emeril skillet?  The bottom of it is very thick.

10 minutes ago, Derrick Foreal said:

Yes, you should use your gimmick brand skillet that I'm sure you stole......Hand it to the nearest person and start talking.....Nature will take it's course.

FYI:  I acquired the skillet at Bed, Bath and Beyond.  I wasn't interested in the brand name.  I wanted it because the bottom is so thick that you can hammer nails with it without denting it.  And, the copper isn't just plating.  It's a disk five millimeters thick embedded in the stainless steel.  Copper is necessary for even heat distribution.

We’re talking steak?

My recipe as of late is patting them dry, marinating in Worcester sauce and spices for an hour minimum, then cooking in the pan for 5 minutes on one side in olive oil.  Flip it, add butter and thyme, and put it in the oven at 400 degrees for 4 to 7 minutes (5 minutes gets you medium rare).  The end result is juicy and full of flavor.

If using the pan is good enough for all those cooking shows, there’s probably a method to the madness.

Edited by Jman
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...