UnevenEdge

your 2017 goty

Distortedreasoning

i gotta say 2017 was a fantastic year for games. 

this thread is for everyone to pick the best game they played from last year. you can write something short explaining why you picked the game.

my pick is zelda botw. 

im not sure if this is the best zelda but it is definitely up there. i picked it because the game is a masterpiece. a true work of art. the game only guides you a bit at the beginning but after that you have one giant sandbox of a world to play in. a world with its unique physics and mechanics. everything in this game encourages the player to explore, even the combat has you trying out different weapons and tactics. art and graphics are beautiful. the game is nice to look at. sound and music fit the game perfect. its not your epic zelda score but a more ambient and serene. 

• Like 1

Persona 5: What an experience this was. Just when I thought it'd be hard to top P4's fight system, they were able to add fun mechanics to the combat that's equally intuitive, with an awesome story/characters on-par with P3. The world-building was a breath of fresh air as it's the first time I come into a game and everyone but the one problem student hates your guts. The first person you're told to take down in the game's first chapter the hugest bastard in recent gaming because of how realistically scary he is, and as the days go by, the story gives you more and more incentive to want to beat the shit out of him. The slow, gradual build-up as your experience of Tokyo grows with your friend circle is rewarding. Sojiro and Futaba are easily some of my favorite game characters within the past several years, and their personal conflicts are both heart-rendering to begin with and heart-warming as you slowly get to know the two. Having more memorable level design (the Castle and Tomb are the first levels in a while to illicit a serious reaction from me), cool ass persona designs (Makoto's persona!!), the obsession with coffee and curry that matches mine well (I made a full list of the trivia on Reddit), and the smooth soundtrack only add to completely exceed the expectations I had and is absolutely amazing.

Nier Automata: This one I bought because it was popular, but I was blown away with how engaging the story was. It was philosophical, surreal, goofy, and tragic all wrapped up in a tight bow. The music is absolutely beautiful, and are expertly placed in significant moments. As the story went on, you really got attached to 2B, 9S, the partnership they build over time, and the surrounding characters (Jackass, Anemone, and Pascal really stuck out for me). I've only finished the first two endings (along with some of the gag endings), but I'm looking forward to what happens next.

Yakuza 0: I'm a big fan of the Yakuza games, so it was cool to see a story being told where Majima's point of view is given more attention. Along with Majima and a young Kazuma before he was as prolific being the Dragon of Dojima, it's an all around fun experience. The side missions are a funny and engaging diversion from the main missions, the 80's motifs are amazing like the disco mode, a playable version of Outrun, and the obsession with excessive wealth in the Bubble economy lending itself to the money/experience/mini-game mechanics. Yakuza 6 will probably be twice as amazing, but 0 was a lot of fun, and it was intriguing to see how things were with Kazuma, Majima, and Nishiki before the inner-workings of the yakuza lead to the events of the first game.

Edited by imchapp.in

Nah, I played that orc killing game, but then I kinda really didn't get that much into it.

I mean, it seemed really repetitive, then I honestly felt kind of bad because I was killing all these orcs who had  hopes dreams and aspirations.

Other than that I picked up ESO again and have been enjoying it.

I play as an Orc, his name is Chief Aldaganja

4 hours ago, imchapp.in said:

Persona 5: What an experience this was. Just when I thought it'd be hard to top P4's fight system, they were able to add fun mechanics to the combat that's equally intuitive, with an awesome story/characters on-par with P3. The world-building was a breath of fresh air as it's the first time I come into a game and everyone but the one problem student hates your guts. The first person you're told to take down in the game's first chapter the hugest bastard in recent gaming because of how realistically scary he is, and as the days go by, the story gives you more and more incentive to want to beat the shit out of him. The slow, gradual build-up as your experience of Tokyo grows with your friend circle is rewarding. Sojiro and Futaba are easily some of my favorite game characters within the past several years, and their personal conflicts are both heart-rendering to begin with and heart-warming as you slowly get to know the two. Having more memorable level design (the Castle and Tomb are the first levels in a while to illicit a serious reaction from me), cool ass persona designs (Makoto's persona!!), the obsession with coffee and curry that matches mine well (I made a full list of the trivia on Reddit), and the smooth soundtrack only add to completely exceed the expectations I had and is absolutely amazing.

Nier Automata: This one I bought because it was popular, but I was blown away with how engaging the story was. It was philosophical, surreal, goofy, and tragic all wrapped up in a tight bow. The music is absolutely beautiful, and are expertly placed in significant moments. As the story went on, you really got attached to 2B, 9S, the partnership they build over time, and the surrounding characters (Jackass, Anemone, and Pascal really stuck out for me). I've only finished the first two endings (along with some of the gag endings), but I'm looking forward to what happens next.

Yakuza 0: I'm a big fan of the Yakuza games, so it was cool to see a story being told where Majima's point of view is given more attention. Along with Majima and a young Kazuma before he was as prolific being the Dragon of Dojima, it's an all around fun experience. The side missions are a funny and engaging diversion from the main missions, the 80's motifs are amazing like the disco mode, a playable version of Outrun, and the obsession with excessive wealth in the Bubble economy lending itself to the money/experience/mini-game mechanics. Yakuza 6 will probably be twice as amazing, but 0 was a lot of fun, and it was intriguing to see how things were with Kazuma, Majima, and Nishiki before the inner-workings of the yakuza lead to the events of the first game.

only heard of nier but is it an rpg? 

i know of persona and yakuza already. never played any of them but persona gets a lot of love from its fans and honestly sounds like something i could enjoy. 

38 minutes ago, Distortedreasoning said:

theres like a million of games where you kill orcs.

also theres like a million of these lego games too but i heard some are good. 

Yeah this isn't one of those lego-batman games or anything like  that. This is "Here, it's an infinite number of massive lego landscapes of  all sorts with lego plants and animals and people and cities and stuff all over it. Unlimited  legos, build whatever you want or destroy whatever you want, fight lego monsters, ride a t-rex....

It's a good time.

Building me a castle right now.

18 hours ago, Distortedreasoning said:

only heard of nier but is it an rpg? 

i know of persona and yakuza already. never played any of them but persona gets a lot of love from its fans and honestly sounds like something i could enjoy. 

It’s an action RPG, so it plays like your standard hack and slash, but you level up and enhance your abilities by using plug-in chips that give you extra buffs or two weapon types to mix and match. 

Theres also shoot-em-up stages, so there’s always something to mix it up.

I unfortunately haven't been playing many video games lately, I played some repeats of bioshock, some new Wolfenstein, but mostly and completed Watch Dogs 2. And I'm gonna say my favorite was Watch dogs 2 because I'm a vain about my love of the bay. >.> But also it was just a nice, chill game without too much pressure to complete missions, and kinda fun to take my time on. Hoping the new God of War will be my top game this year, it's already paid off. <.<

20 hours ago, PenguinBoss said:

Nier: Automata, I suppose. The gameplay gets repetitive, but the world and story are so engaging that you really don't mind it.

I agree with all of @imchapp.in's picks, though. The major reason I didn't pick Persona 5 is that I thought it kind of fell apart at the end, like Persona 4 did.

another vote for nier!

you guys making me more curious about it now.

1 hour ago, imchapp.in said:

It’s an action RPG, so it plays like your standard hack and slash, but you level up and enhance your abilities by using plug-in chips that give you extra buffs or two weapon types to mix and match. 

Theres also shoot-em-up stages, so there’s always something to mix it up.

shmup levels included? count me very interested lol. 

1 hour ago, jackiemarie90 said:

I unfortunately haven't been playing many video games lately, I played some repeats of bioshock, some new Wolfenstein, but mostly and completed Watch Dogs 2. And I'm gonna say my favorite was Watch dogs 2 because I'm a vain about my love of the bay. >.> But also it was just a nice, chill game without too much pressure to complete missions, and kinda fun to take my time on. Hoping the new God of War will be my top game this year, it's already paid off. <.<

i dont know if any of those games were released last year lol.

im not looking anything up tho :P 

but yeah i know you been busier than normal so hope you get some more playing time this year ;)

On 3/1/2018 at 7:02 PM, SwimOdin said:

Breath of the Wild

cant argue with this lol.

On 3/1/2018 at 8:05 PM, Ric said:

1. Super Mario Odyssey
2. Persona 5
3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

another for zelda and persona but first for mario.

also liked mario. really my top spot could have gone to mario as well. kind of crazy to think we got so many good games this year. 

On 3/1/2018 at 6:14 PM, Distortedreasoning said:

i dont know if any of those games were released last year lol.

im not looking anything up tho :P 

but yeah i know you been busier than normal so hope you get some more playing time this year ;)

Technically none were, but I argue, watch dogs dos was released November 2016, so it's so dam close to 2017, that it should just technically count. :P

Guest The Hound
1 hour ago, Distortedreasoning said:

never even heard of this game but did look it up and looks like it can be pretty fun.

wait are you being sarcastic? Idk how anyone this year didnt get that acronym  rammed down their throats.

Gotta say Battfield 1. Regardless of all its shortcomings,  and historical inaccuracies its a fun game. There aren't many games I've ever played that get over 500 hrs of play time from me. Except for RPG'S. Have to give it to them, its a great FPS shooter that still has me hooked over a year later.

2 hours ago, kameljoe said:

Gotta say Battfield 1. Regardless of all its shortcomings,  and historical inaccuracies its a fun game. There aren't many games I've ever played that get over 500 hrs of play time from me. Except for RPG'S. Have to give it to them, its a great FPS shooter that still has me hooked over a year later.

I kinda have to agree and go with BF1.  I like how COD and BF both went old school this year with their games, and I thoroughly enjoy both games.

BF1 wins in my book based on the amount of hours I've spent on it.  The only complaint I have about it is I felt at times my teammates would tank harder than an MLB or NBA team just so they could get the giant death train or zeppelin. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/6/2018 at 1:00 AM, The Hound said:

wait are you being sarcastic? Idk how anyone this year didnt get that acronym  rammed down their throats.

Ive heard it a lot but never cared enough to look it up.

Considered asking here, but that would havw been more effort than googling it.

I guess it will just remain a mystery.

22 hours ago, kameljoe said:

20 hours ago, molarbear said:

I kinda have to agree and go with BF1.  I like how COD and BF both went old school this year with their games, and I thoroughly enjoy both games.

BF1 wins in my book based on the amount of hours I've spent on it.  The only complaint I have about it is I felt at times my teammates would tank harder than an MLB or NBA team just so they could get the giant death train or zeppelin. 

i actually liked the cod world at war from way back then but mainly for introducing the zombie mode. havent played much of the battlefield/cod franchise in a long time but good to know they made 2 solid entries. 

Nier Automata, hands down. Had the most engaging story, great characters, emotional rollercoaster, amazing soundtrack, and superb combat. I got 100% completion on both the PS4 and PC version. The game needs to be ported to all current gen consoles so people can experience its greatness.