UnevenEdge

Can You Help Me Find A New Computer? Here Are 3 Things I Need!

SnapItCrackItPopIt

I love computers. I've been on em' since I was seven years-old and while I'm not Bill Gates nor am I a candidate for MIT, you can bet your ass I know how to torrent and cover my tracks!

Anyway, I'm on my third computer. I've had this baby since 2011 (she was manufactured in 2010) and she's now starting to show her age. The monitor, while properly working, has had this weird blur to it and even though I keep my computer clean, defragmented, and virus check, she doesn't run as fast as she use to. My gut is telling me that her days are numbered (I suspect she'll clunk out next year).

So, with no time to waste, I need help choosing a new computer, quickly. However, the options are endless and it gives me analysis paralysis. Every bit of suggestions will help!

Here are three things I need from a computer:

1.) A computer that can handle my multiple tabs load.

-I use Google Chrome and I usually have 10-15 tabs open simultaneously. 20 if I'm feeling breezy.

2.) A computer that can handle multiple programs at once.

-I usually have 5 programs operating simultaneously.

3.)A computer that can handle light gaming.

-The only game I currently play is SIM City, but I MIGHT get into more heavier PC gaming a few years from now.

I thank you for any suggestions you all respond with.

-SnapIt

are you looking to assemble or buying one built from the manufacturers?

what is your budget for everything?

going by your requirements, i think going with a new intel coffe lake system will be your best bet.

i think they come out sometime next month and will offer 6-core cpus  in the $300 range.  i also hear that the amd ryzen cpu's are good but i dont have much experience with those. for running multiple programs you want at least a quad core.

the intel cpus also come in with decent integrated graphics built into the chips. those can play a lot of modern games in low settings and they can handle older games quite well. it's nice to have if you want to hold off on buying a dedicated video card.

tabs i think are more tied to the ram and cpu and most  newer hardware should be able to handle that kind of load.

are you looking to assemble or buying one built from the manufacturers?

what is your budget for everything?

going by your requirements, i think going with a new intel coffe lake system will be your best bet.

i think they come out sometime next month and will offer 6-core cpus  in the $300 range.  i also hear that the amd ryzen cpu's are good but i dont have much experience with those. for running multiple programs you want at least a quad core.

the intel cpus also come in with decent integrated graphics built into the chips. those can play a lot of modern games in low settings and they can handle older games quite well. it's nice to have if you want to hold off on buying a dedicated video card.

tabs i think are more tied to the ram and cpu and most  newer hardware should be able to handle that kind of load.

My budget is $1,000 and what you speak of is right up my alley. My current computer is entry level and straight from Wal-Mart it's all I could afford at the time.

Shouldn't cpu speed be taken into consideration here? I mean, I'm sure you'll get something decent in that range regardless. But still worth watching out for something that looks good but it's running at 1.7GHz or something.

But I don't necessarily know what I'm talking about.

cpu speed isnt the only important factor in terms of performance.

some cpus perform better in different applications than others. and other cpu's are just better all across the board.

theres lots of factors to consider but for what snapcrackpop wants, i think waiting a bit longer for the 6-core intel cpu's would be best.

though there are other options.

i havent really seen that many benchmarks for the latest amd cpu but i remember they have good performance in multi-threaded applications.

intel current gen offerings arent bad either and perform better in different areas. and they have the added benefit of having integrated graphics which cut down on price.

• 2 weeks later...

What kind of computer is it and is it a laptop/desktop. You're graphics card could just be struggling.

Whether it's a laptop/desktop or not doesn't really matter then you just need to get a new graphics card..

also could be a monitor issue or a number of other things going on with the os and drivers..

All of which are more easy to fix on a desktop. 

cpu speed isnt the only important factor in terms of performance.

some cpus perform better in different applications than others. and other cpu's are just better all across the board.

theres lots of factors to consider but for what snapcrackpop wants, i think waiting a bit longer for the 6-core intel cpu's would be best.

though there are other options.

i havent really seen that many benchmarks for the latest amd cpu but i remember they have good performance in multi-threaded applications.

intel current gen offerings arent bad either and perform better in different areas. and they have the added benefit of having integrated graphics which cut down on price.

I just have a quad-core intel processor. Alot of times bottle knecking issues cause crap like he said was happening.

A store bought computer is more likely to face issues due to that over time in my opinionm though you can have a

bottle-knecking pc and not notice any issues at all ofcourse.

My budget is $1,000 and what you speak of is right up my alley. My current computer is entry level and straight from Wal-Mart it's all I could afford at the time.

yeah.. I think my build would be great for you.. I didn't come up with it it was put together buy some youtube tech/

gaming channel for around $800 at the time. I wish I could remember who the fuck they were, but that 800 was

just for the tower no monitors, keyboards or anything else.  There should be a lot of build guides that list a range

of options based on what you want on youtube or just google the shit. A lot of people will post guides that include

entry, medium, and enthusiast level pcs side by side.

Things to consider:

CPU-number of cores/multitasking ability..that's really all I can say here unfortunately.

Hard-Drive or..Drive- Solid state or Hard Disk Drive. I've heard there's a lot more affordable SSD options out there now,

but my build just has a terabyte seagate HDD. (An SSD should have a longer shelf life, and run a lot faster)

RAM- This is just a generalization, but the more RAM you have the faster your system will usually operate. I got

2 sticks of 4gig ram for a 'whopping' 8 gigs though in this thing that being said.

MOTHERBOARD- Make sure this is laid out in a way you'r comfortable with, and that it includes spaces for everything

you want.(you may want it to have a lot of unused ram slots to add more of that)etc

Graphics Card- How much do you care about graphics and gaming. I have a gygabyte radeon something or other.

that is ok for 'light gaming' as you put it, but others here can help you more with that I'm sure.

CPU Cooler- I'm going to include case design, extra fans, liquid cooling and all that here. Just need a good venting

case and CPU cooler if you arent hosting the library of Alexandria on your computer or something imo.

Did I miss something? I might have.

OS? not really part of the tower, but you should have an OS in mind already for your build before you set it up imo.