Jump to content
UnevenEdge
Distortedreasoning

PC support and help

Recommended Posts

On 12/1/2019 at 12:18 AM, Distortedreasoning said:

if seen some pretty crazy prices for the ryzen 7 2700x during black friday. hope you got in on one if not theres cyber monday which could also bring more good deals. the ram for sure is overkill and can go with 16gb if you want to save even more. gpu, not a big fan of the rx570, those are pretty dang old now. id keep an eye out for something stronger and more current gen during sales. 

i got the r7 2700x for $170 which i think was pretty decent (not the best deal out there but i'm content). found some slightly faster RAM from crucial yesterday so i went with that instead. hopefully i can oc to make use of it! the gpu is really the only place where i compromised. and the only reason i did is because i found it for $110 (about $70 off). if it doesn't give us what we want, it won't hurt much to upgrade it in a month or so when i'm not buying an entire pc worth of components. 

also, i ended up going with a 1tb nvme ssd instead of sata because i got a good deal on one today. and i picked up an extra 4tb hdd because it was on sale too. so storage should be good. the mobo has been a pain to lock in because it went out of stock everywhere at the same time. i ended up grabbing one from newegg for a little more than i wanted, but at least i'll have it this week so oh well. some rgb fans, better heatsinks, and a wifi card all on the way as well, and i think we're all set. should hopefully get it built over the weekend, and i'll post pics if/when it happens.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wacky1980 said:

i got the r7 2700x for $170 which i think was pretty decent (not the best deal out there but i'm content). found some slightly faster RAM from crucial yesterday so i went with that instead. hopefully i can oc to make use of it! the gpu is really the only place where i compromised. and the only reason i did is because i found it for $110 (about $70 off). if it doesn't give us what we want, it won't hurt much to upgrade it in a month or so when i'm not buying an entire pc worth of components. 

also, i ended up going with a 1tb nvme ssd instead of sata because i got a good deal on one today. and i picked up an extra 4tb hdd because it was on sale too. so storage should be good. the mobo has been a pain to lock in because it went out of stock everywhere at the same time. i ended up grabbing one from newegg for a little more than i wanted, but at least i'll have it this week so oh well. some rgb fans, better heatsinks, and a wifi card all on the way as well, and i think we're all set. should hopefully get it built over the weekend, and i'll post pics if/when it happens.

i think i saw the 2700x for a bit cheaper but not much. either way still a solid cpu at that price point. im not a big fan of the gpu but at that price its hard to do much better. i almost jumped on some of those nvme deals myself but decided to not do any shopping this year. cyber monday was really good this year for pc builders. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Distortedreasoning said:

i think i saw the 2700x for a bit cheaper but not much. either way still a solid cpu at that price point. im not a big fan of the gpu but at that price its hard to do much better. i almost jumped on some of those nvme deals myself but decided to not do any shopping this year. cyber monday was really good this year for pc builders. 

i had about 30 items in an amazon wish list and 3camel tracker for the last couple weeks so i could keep an eye on prices. with the exception of the ssd, not a damn thing went on black friday OR cyber monday sale. there was some price shuffling on thanksgiving, but nothing too crazy. the cpu went as low as $160 after i bought it at $170. and the GOD DAMN mobo is back in stock at amazon today for $99 with prime and no tax, after i bought it at newegg last night with tax+shipping. too late to cancel that order now too, so i ate shit there.

i think i'm out the door at around $900 altogether. now if everything works and i'm not missing screws or anything dumb like that...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

got damn. didn't realize how tiny those nmve cards are. anyways, i got about halfway built last night with the parts that had already arrived. got psu, fans, and nvme drive + heatsink today. if i get time this evening, i'm gonna attempt to get the rest of the hardware dropped in place and try to boot into bios to make sure we're looking good.

still trying to decide what to do as far as os. i really don't wanna drop $100 on a new win10 license, and i'm not too interested in a linux distro because it's been awhile and i'd be rusty. thinking i can just use the license from the old pc i'm retiring. that's still a thing we can do, right?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, wacky1980 said:

got damn. didn't realize how tiny those nmve cards are. anyways, i got about halfway built last night with the parts that had already arrived. got psu, fans, and nvme drive + heatsink today. if i get time this evening, i'm gonna attempt to get the rest of the hardware dropped in place and try to boot into bios to make sure we're looking good.

still trying to decide what to do as far as os. i really don't wanna drop $100 on a new win10 license, and i'm not too interested in a linux distro because it's been awhile and i'd be rusty. thinking i can just use the license from the old pc i'm retiring. that's still a thing we can do, right?

you should be able to do that. im not too sure though. you might have to give ms a call. you could get windows 10 for free. youll just have an annoying reminder to get the retail version on the bottom right of the screen. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

got the rest of the components installed last night...but i can't get anything to output to display. maybe not booting into bios properly, or not really booting at all, not entirely sure yet. i put in approximately 0 minutes of troubleshooting because it was 2am and i had to be awake this morning at 6. none of the led debug lights are coming on, so it's not an obvious problem just yet, but i have a few ideas. gonna strip out the storage drives and gpu and try a couple more things. if i have to, gonna pull the mobo and try a breadboard boot (ugh, not exciting after getting it all put together). but it could also be something as simple as a bad display cable, so my first step is gonna be using dvi on a known working monitor.

nothing's ever easy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

figured it out. not sure what the problem was, but i pulled the memory modules and re-seated them, and all is well now. installing windows as we speak. managed to use the factory oc to get the cpu up to 4.15ghz, and ram is currently pushing 3200. we'll see how well that translates into gaming / editing boost...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yes, when installing a new pc, check and make sure your memory is properly installed. 

that usually means having them in the right spot and the module seated in all the way.

i would just watch your temps when overclocking. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Distortedreasoning said:

yes, when installing a new pc, check and make sure your memory is properly installed. 

that usually means having them in the right spot and the module seated in all the way.

i would just watch your temps when overclocking. 

i had the memory in the correct slots and they sure looked properly seated. pulled the one from slot 4 out entirely and moved the one from slot 2 over to 1, and then everything came up. moved them both back to their original positions, and everything came up again. 🤷‍♂️

idle temps on the cpu (oc) hang right around 29-30C (sitting in bios that is...i haven't loaded the monitoring software in windows yet). the 2700x came with a decent air cooler, and i have 4 aftermarket fans -- 2 intake and 2 exhaust -- moving air pretty well. once i have my windows install sorted, i'll add the software and run some benchmark tests to see where everything sits.

boot time into windows is scary fast on that nvme, at least as fast as my chromebook. this windows install is being a betch though. i can't move any activation keys onto this pc from any of the other 3 i have (all win10) because apparently starting with win10, the activation key is bound to hardware and can't be transferred? i'm still not very well-educated on this so i'm gonna keep poking at it until a solution presents itself. worst case scenario, i can always install the cracked version from my torrent site or (ugh) buy a license. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

got 'er rolling now. she pretty. not too bad for my first build.

IMG_20191207_182919.thumb.jpg.ef264ff1aaa9174731787261b92f6e7c.jpg

Edited by wacky1980
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Distortedreasoning said:

looking pretty nice, i like the red leds. 

good job on the cabling as well.

hope you got that problem with windows resolved. 

i found a non-oem license from an old pc i had sitting around. it transferred, and we good now. i have pushed a couple benchmark tests on it and everything seems to be running at expected specs. i still can't believe that nvme drive hits 3400mbps sequential read. just crazy. cabling wasn't bad. there's a lot of channels to pull cabling throuh, all the way around the mobo and out the front for the drives. the case leaves a few things to be desired, but it's not too bad overall. the rgb is controlled on the mobo by some msi-branded software, but there's also a button on the top of the case that *i think* is supposed to control it as well. i haven't got that figured out just yet.

the highest temp i could reach on the cpu so far is 78C. we installed a couple games on it for the boys to kick around, and when we're playing minecraft the temp moves between 50-60C but rarely outside that range. still haven't put the nuts to it by editing videos, but i think we're recording again tonight so we'll see how that goes later this week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

balls. had to turn off overclock because I couldn't export video in premiere pro without overheating and crashing out. back to stock speeds, and now we're not even toppimg 65C during export. oh well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HardcoreHunter said:

Finally added more ram from 32gb to 64gb. Corsair LPX 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz C16 DDR4 

Got this set for about $150. Shame thinking years back I spent $299 on the same thing. The progress of technology I guess.

I got this exact set on black Friday sale for $125 when I built my new gaming PC. Been very happy with it. I can't imagine needing 2x this RAM. What are you doing with all that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, wacky1980 said:

I got this exact set on black Friday sale for $125 when I built my new gaming PC. Been very happy with it. I can't imagine needing 2x this RAM. What are you doing with all that?

Yeah would have been nice to save another $25, but I spent too much money around that time on gifts for everyone to spare the $125. I run dual monitor Usually use the one for just youtube and media to run on. The other I'll run games and editing apps. What I had worked great for photoshop applications, but recently I started editing some videos. Though really I think just having empty ram slots was getting to me more than the minor inconvenience with my editing software. I really need to set aside some time to backup my video and image folders. It's been like 8 months and I've archived a lot of shit. Also need to take some time and just organize my image folder. It's getting to be a mess. 

This is the first Upgrade I've really done for this rig since I built it in october 2017. Ryzen 7 1700, Cooler Master hyper 612v2, 2x16gb GDDR4 ram, Arous 1080ti 11gb, 1000w EVGA gold psu, 4x Noctua fans, 500gb ssd, Two 6tb 7200 HDD, 2Tb 7200 HDD, Corsair vengeance c70 mid tower military green, Gigabyte aorus GA Ax370 k7 motherboard. 

Some of the HDD I cannibalized from an older build. If I had to do it again I'd have waited a bit longer and gotten a better motherboard, however I did this build right before bit coin mining bubble hit and the price of GPU went insane. So I bought my 1080ti for  for $770. Then a week later they were going for $2k-$3k, right now even the price is still at $1k.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speak of the devil and the other day the cpu cooler on my 2nd pc died. Installed a stock cooler on it; so no big. However funny how I was talking about needing to back things up, then something happened on one of my PC. So after I fixed that I spent a few hrs saturday backing up videos, docs, porn, games, images etc. So right now I have 4 copies of most of my files. One on my main, one copy to my 2nd, and a copy on a 3.5'' external drive, and a copy across two external SSD.  Sans my house burning down I should be good for a while till next backup. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not likely to get any help here, but wanted to share some bs that happened earlier today.

I went to use my pc, I always keep it on, though I put it in sleep mode whenever I'm not using it. The other day I had a notice about needing to restart pc for windows updates. And then today after 11 I turned my pc on and on my desktop all the files were gone except recycle bin, and there was nothing on my toolbar or anything, when I tried opening windows explorer it'd just say that D:\ is inaccessible. D:\ being an ssd that I use for my documents, downloads, music, videos, desktop, etc. folders and files. That SSD is no more than 2-3 years old at the most, and the SMART details showed that it's still a healthy drive. I restarted pc, windows installing its updates. it also started scanning and repairing for D:\. When I got back into windows it still said the drive path was inaccessible, windows explorer showed the drive under This PC but it didn't show free/used storage space. I went to disk management and the drive was still showing up there, showing the free/used space there, and that it still had the drive letter D.

The problem I found was that somehow the security permissions for the entire drive were gone. There was no set owner, and there were no set permissions for users. I was able to regain access to the drive by changing the owner to me and setting the permissions back up, but I still ended up having to go through all the root folders on that drive to set the correct owner and then set all the permissions as they should, so that I can keep using the drive. So things are nice and peachy for now I guess, but the problem I'm having now is that my documents and downloads folders which were stored on that drive are completely gone, and that really infuriates me since that's years worth of documents and downloads, dating back to 2013 even. The only silver lining to all this is I have those folders backed up on another drive, so I can retrieve them, the annoying part though is those backups were from over a year ago. A fair amount of my stuff will be alright, but a bigger drawback will be any game I had that didn't use cloud storage and was stored in documents during that gap would be lost, as well as mod files for a lot of my games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2020 at 1:04 PM, Distinct Lunatic said:

Not likely to get any help here, but wanted to share some bs that happened earlier today.

I went to use my pc, I always keep it on, though I put it in sleep mode whenever I'm not using it. The other day I had a notice about needing to restart pc for windows updates. And then today after 11 I turned my pc on and on my desktop all the files were gone except recycle bin, and there was nothing on my toolbar or anything, when I tried opening windows explorer it'd just say that D:\ is inaccessible. D:\ being an ssd that I use for my documents, downloads, music, videos, desktop, etc. folders and files. That SSD is no more than 2-3 years old at the most, and the SMART details showed that it's still a healthy drive. I restarted pc, windows installing its updates. it also started scanning and repairing for D:\. When I got back into windows it still said the drive path was inaccessible, windows explorer showed the drive under This PC but it didn't show free/used storage space. I went to disk management and the drive was still showing up there, showing the free/used space there, and that it still had the drive letter D.

The problem I found was that somehow the security permissions for the entire drive were gone. There was no set owner, and there were no set permissions for users. I was able to regain access to the drive by changing the owner to me and setting the permissions back up, but I still ended up having to go through all the root folders on that drive to set the correct owner and then set all the permissions as they should, so that I can keep using the drive. So things are nice and peachy for now I guess, but the problem I'm having now is that my documents and downloads folders which were stored on that drive are completely gone, and that really infuriates me since that's years worth of documents and downloads, dating back to 2013 even. The only silver lining to all this is I have those folders backed up on another drive, so I can retrieve them, the annoying part though is those backups were from over a year ago. A fair amount of my stuff will be alright, but a bigger drawback will be any game I had that didn't use cloud storage and was stored in documents during that gap would be lost, as well as mod files for a lot of my games.

i dont have much experience with hard drive utility programs, so i cant say smart is a good program to use for that. it could be but i wouldnt rule out hd failure. anyways like i said in the other thread, sometimes windows update can fuck shit up and going back to a previous version where everything worked fine is the best solution. also you should turn off sleep mode. its really only good on laptops. sleep  mode can cause more headaches than what they are worth. 

 

well the good news is that data is never really lost and almost anything can be retrieved, long as its not damaged. bad news is im actually kinda unfamiliar with this process since its one i dont use much. im sure you could find something on youtube if you really need to. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2020 at 4:04 PM, Distinct Lunatic said:

Not likely to get any help here, but wanted to share some bs that happened earlier today.

I went to use my pc, I always keep it on, though I put it in sleep mode whenever I'm not using it. The other day I had a notice about needing to restart pc for windows updates. And then today after 11 I turned my pc on and on my desktop all the files were gone except recycle bin, and there was nothing on my toolbar or anything, when I tried opening windows explorer it'd just say that D:\ is inaccessible. D:\ being an ssd that I use for my documents, downloads, music, videos, desktop, etc. folders and files. That SSD is no more than 2-3 years old at the most, and the SMART details showed that it's still a healthy drive. I restarted pc, windows installing its updates. it also started scanning and repairing for D:\. When I got back into windows it still said the drive path was inaccessible, windows explorer showed the drive under This PC but it didn't show free/used storage space. I went to disk management and the drive was still showing up there, showing the free/used space there, and that it still had the drive letter D.

The problem I found was that somehow the security permissions for the entire drive were gone. There was no set owner, and there were no set permissions for users. I was able to regain access to the drive by changing the owner to me and setting the permissions back up, but I still ended up having to go through all the root folders on that drive to set the correct owner and then set all the permissions as they should, so that I can keep using the drive. So things are nice and peachy for now I guess, but the problem I'm having now is that my documents and downloads folders which were stored on that drive are completely gone, and that really infuriates me since that's years worth of documents and downloads, dating back to 2013 even. The only silver lining to all this is I have those folders backed up on another drive, so I can retrieve them, the annoying part though is those backups were from over a year ago. A fair amount of my stuff will be alright, but a bigger drawback will be any game I had that didn't use cloud storage and was stored in documents during that gap would be lost, as well as mod files for a lot of my games.

If it's saying that the space is still being used on the disc there still can be some hope. You can try running a command prompt to check the disc. If it's showing all the space is free you'd probably need retrieval software. 

As for why it happened I can think of a couple of reasons. First one being it sounds like you got hit by the bug that came in the feb update that affected some people's computers https://www.howtogeek.com/658194/windows-10s-new-update-is-deleting-peoples-files-again/

If it's that then the article explains how to retrieve your files. 

Other possible problems could be the SSD itself. Rarely turning off your pc or allowing it to go through a restart cycle  and having a 7 year old SSD adds up overtime. Usually it's expected 10 years before the begin to fail like that, however people who have been using them for gaming have been noting that the earlier made SSDs do fail faster than expected. While not my SSD I did have an HDD die on me last year that I used to store a lot of stuff. I do regular backups, but it still sucks since it lost 4 months wroth of stuff. In the future I'd suggest a couple solutions for backing up. One quick way if you have the room is to install a hotswap rack. The other is to buy an external hotswap bay. I've used this on my backup PC and brother and friends pc's which don't have/or have room for a bay. It works good and can be hooked up via sata or usb, USB is slower but it is simple if you have tight sata cable management in your case already. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H11QT3S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Distortedreasoning said:

i dont have much experience with hard drive utility programs, so i cant say smart is a good program to use for that. it could be but i wouldnt rule out hd failure. anyways like i said in the other thread, sometimes windows update can fuck shit up and going back to a previous version where everything worked fine is the best solution. also you should turn off sleep mode. its really only good on laptops. sleep  mode can cause more headaches than what they are worth. 

 

well the good news is that data is never really lost and almost anything can be retrieved, long as its not damaged. bad news is im actually kinda unfamiliar with this process since its one i dont use much. im sure you could find something on youtube if you really need to. 

 

5 hours ago, HardcoreHunter said:

If it's saying that the space is still being used on the disc there still can be some hope. You can try running a command prompt to check the disc. If it's showing all the space is free you'd probably need retrieval software. 

As for why it happened I can think of a couple of reasons. First one being it sounds like you got hit by the bug that came in the feb update that affected some people's computers https://www.howtogeek.com/658194/windows-10s-new-update-is-deleting-peoples-files-again/

If it's that then the article explains how to retrieve your files. 

Other possible problems could be the SSD itself. Rarely turning off your pc or allowing it to go through a restart cycle  and having a 7 year old SSD adds up overtime. Usually it's expected 10 years before the begin to fail like that, however people who have been using them for gaming have been noting that the earlier made SSDs do fail faster than expected. While not my SSD I did have an HDD die on me last year that I used to store a lot of stuff. I do regular backups, but it still sucks since it lost 4 months wroth of stuff. In the future I'd suggest a couple solutions for backing up. One quick way if you have the room is to install a hotswap rack. The other is to buy an external hotswap bay. I've used this on my backup PC and brother and friends pc's which don't have/or have room for a bay. It works good and can be hooked up via sata or usb, USB is slower but it is simple if you have tight sata cable management in your case already. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H11QT3S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fortunately I was able to recover my lost files. Apparently whenever windows scans and repairs drives at startup it saves data that was recovered by that in a different part of the drive, I used a program called spacesniffer to scan my drive, it being a tool that's really good at giving you a visual on what's taking up space on your drives, and I was able to use that to track down my missing documents, downloads, as well as music and video folders. There was a bunch of other files mixed up in other folders that I think were needed for some other programs cause there were a few programs I tried launching on that same drive that would crash on start up.

Honestly what I'm thinking of doing with that drive to make sure there's no issues at all on it is first back up all my files on it, then just wipe that partition and make a new one, deleting everything on it to insure that everything is set properly, then placing my copied files back where they belong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was having some lag and stutter issues. Realized that my bios was 25ver out of date. Updated that and it seems to have fixed the lag issues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my BiL wants me to build him a gaming pc that can handle the new flight simulator, complete with full cockpit controls (yoke, throttle, foot pedals, etc). no problem, right? except he wants to run three 4k monitors. i'm not sure there's a single card on the market that can handle that many gaming pixels at a respectable framerate, and i'm pretty sure he won't want to spring for three 2080's, assuming there's even a cpu/ssd scenario that could even handle all of that. without doing any research, i told him it would be pretty expensive to put together that rig, and now i'm thinking it wouldn't even be feasible. anyone have some guidance for this? i'm thinking i can probably talk him down to a three 1080p setup with higher fps but even then, should i wait for the 3080's to drop?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, wacky1980 said:

my BiL wants me to build him a gaming pc that can handle the new flight simulator, complete with full cockpit controls (yoke, throttle, foot pedals, etc). no problem, right? except he wants to run three 4k monitors. i'm not sure there's a single card on the market that can handle that many gaming pixels at a respectable framerate, and i'm pretty sure he won't want to spring for three 2080's, assuming there's even a cpu/ssd scenario that could even handle all of that. without doing any research, i told him it would be pretty expensive to put together that rig, and now i'm thinking it wouldn't even be feasible. anyone have some guidance for this? i'm thinking i can probably talk him down to a three 1080p setup with higher fps but even then, should i wait for the 3080's to drop?

I would try talking him down to 1080p.

The costs of doing that with 4k would be through the roof. Just for three 4k monitors that'd easily run him a grand or close to two if he wanted to get real good ones. In terms of hardware, to handle three 4k monitors I'd say two 2080's might be able to handle it at medium graphics settings but I don't even know, and that'd be over a thousand for two. With 4 1080p monitors a single 2080 might be enough considering 4k is literally 1080p times 4 in terms of pixel count. For a cpu he'd definitely need either an i7 from Intel or a ryzen 7 from AMD, AMD is better for the cost and performance.

When it comes to the idea of using more than 2 gpus I'm pretty sure unless Microsoft did make it possible for the game, back with the gtx 1080 generation Nvidia killed off more than 2 gpus support.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For a flight game I'd think frames would be more important than resolution. Also it may be wiser to go with an ultra wide monitor or research even a low latency tv than it is to run multi monitors. As for GPU if you can wait it's often for the best, but games honestly haven't improved a lot the past few years. I've been running a 1080ti since 2017 and it's sill hitting 100+ fps at 1080p on a 1st gen Ryzen 7 cpu. 

Also the days of SLI are pretty much dead. Very few games support it anymore and the bulk of games and applications actually fight against it making frames worse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, HardcoreHunter said:

For a flight game I'd think frames would be more important than resolution. Also it may be wiser to go with an ultra wide monitor or research even a low latency tv than it is to run multi monitors. As for GPU if you can wait it's often for the best, but games honestly haven't improved a lot the past few years. I've been running a 1080ti since 2017 and it's sill hitting 100+ fps at 1080p on a 1st gen Ryzen 7 cpu. 

Also the days of SLI are pretty much dead. Very few games support it anymore and the bulk of games and applications actually fight against it making frames worse. 

Ultra wide I would consider better than getting 2 or 3 monitors, but not a TV.

For ultra wide there's a few types, ultra wide 1080p, 1440p, and 4k. Unless the guy plans on getting a 2080 ti or a Titan then a 4k ultra wide shouldn't be considered. A 2080 super should be able to handle a 1440p ultra wide well enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Distinct Lunatic said:

Ultra wide I would consider better than getting 2 or 3 monitors, but not a TV.

For ultra wide there's a few types, ultra wide 1080p, 1440p, and 4k. Unless the guy plans on getting a 2080 ti or a Titan then a 4k ultra wide shouldn't be considered. A 2080 super should be able to handle a 1440p ultra wide well enough.

Unless you're doing twitch shooters gaming monitors are overrated. It's just going to be easier to find a monitor than it is to actually research tv brands to get what you want.  Agree though that an ultra wide monitor will be better than multiple monitors. Multiple monitors do have some uses though. Especially for streaming setups. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Distinct Lunatic said:

I would try talking him down to 1080p.

The costs of doing that with 4k would be through the roof. Just for three 4k monitors that'd easily run him a grand or close to two if he wanted to get real good ones. In terms of hardware, to handle three 4k monitors I'd say two 2080's might be able to handle it at medium graphics settings but I don't even know, and that'd be over a thousand for two. With 4 1080p monitors a single 2080 might be enough considering 4k is literally 1080p times 4 in terms of pixel count. For a cpu he'd definitely need either an i7 from Intel or a ryzen 7 from AMD, AMD is better for the cost and performance.

When it comes to the idea of using more than 2 gpus I'm pretty sure unless Microsoft did make it possible for the game, back with the gtx 1080 generation Nvidia killed off more than 2 gpus support.

i think we're settled on a change in display requirements. he's willing to look into a three 1080 setup, or possibly a 4k main display with a couple 1080 wings. or 1-2 ultrawide monitors. we even toyed with the idea of going VR for the gaming needs, but i don't think a player would get the full effect of the cockpit controls in a virtual environment, so we axed that idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, wacky1980 said:

i think we're settled on a change in display requirements. he's willing to look into a three 1080 setup, or possibly a 4k main display with a couple 1080 wings. or 1-2 ultrawide monitors. we even toyed with the idea of going VR for the gaming needs, but i don't think a player would get the full effect of the cockpit controls in a virtual environment, so we axed that idea.

I put together this list here as a rough idea for what would work.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pPDf3t

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 3.9 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($329.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($89.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($189.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory  ($66.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($169.98 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB XC GAMING Video Card  ($539.99 @ Walmart)
Case: be quiet! Silent Base 601 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($129.90 @ B&H)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($124.01 @ Amazon)
Total: $1640.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-26 23:43 EDT-0400

If you or him know how to overclock you could save a bit of money by buying a ryzen 7 3700x and overclocking it yourself, mine runs stable at 4.2ghz with about 1.35v, could go a little lower on the voltage but my temps were real good so I went a little higher. I leaned towards silence and reliability for the case and the cpu cooler. With an air cooler he wouldn't have to worry about the possibility of a water pump dying or a possible leak, worst case scenario a fan would die and that'd be a simple fix by just buying a new fan instead of replacing the whole cooler, Noctua considered the best as far as fans and air coolers go. Be quiet makes quality cases that are aimed at silence (hence the name), this one doesn't have a window panel, but I believe they have versions with one if wanting to show off the system.

As for motherboard I personally consider MSI to be one of my favorite brands, but can't deny that Asus has a much better bios and with much better software. When it comes to ram, Ryzen sees a big benefit to higher speed memory (for most brands need to enable XMP profile in the bios, for Asus though that option is labeled DOCP I believe, to make sure you're running the speed the ram is rated for) I went a 2x8 kit for 16gb that way if he wanted to go 32gb it'd be as simple as buying another of the exact same kit. When it comes to storage I chose a 1tb M.2 ssd since it's much simpler to handle since you don't have to deal with running sata or power cords to a typical drive, and whenever he feels the need to add storage he could easily just buy typical hdd, I bought a 6tb hdd myself for like $200 or so.

I would have gone with an RTX 2080 or a Super but those are well over $800 currently, I guess cause the covid. If he's willing to pay the higher amount for a 2080 by all means, but if doing 3 1080p monitors then a 2070 Super (which is already very similar in performance to a 2080) will definitely be enough. And as for the power supply, I went Seasonic since simply put, they're the top brand for power supply manufacturers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i would wait just a little bit longer before building a new pc. nvidia is less than a month away from releasing theing new video cards that are looking to be a significant jump from the rtx 20xx generation, with amd releasing their maybe a month or two after nvidia. also amd is releasing their ryzen 4000 series desktop which features zen 3 architecture and is also supposed to get a nice boost from zen 2. 

 

as for monitors? I wouldnt go too crazy with 3- 4k monitors, i know for sure not even the new cards are not gonna be able to push something that high. maybe get either a really big curved monitor or 3 smaller ones with 2560x1440 resolution? i would get that first. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just thought that maybe your friend might wanna get an oled tv and use it as a monitor for this game? a 49 inch or 55 inch might be perfect for something like this. the new video cards should be able to push this game at 4k with at least 60fps. this game looks amazing so might as well use the best screen tech. it might be cheaper than getting 3 high quality 2560x1440 monitors. idk if they still making curve oleds but that could be a really decent option too. either way there are so many options to this game. tho i just remembered oleds might not be best for playing this game. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, HardcoreHunter said:

Never use an oled as a monitor. They're very prone to burn in. 

yeah that was my concern for a game like this that will have a static image most of the time. too bad since they would look amazing with all the lighting and contrast in the game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Distortedreasoning said:

yeah that was my concern for a game like this that will have a static image most of the time. too bad since they would look amazing with all the lighting and contrast in the game. 

Agree, but you'll end up with huds and goggle logos just burnt in. My vita system had burn in after only a couple of months on it's oled. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2019 at 1:34 PM, wacky1980 said:

got damn. didn't realize how tiny those nmve cards are. anyways, i got about halfway built last night with the parts that had already arrived. got psu, fans, and nvme drive + heatsink today. if i get time this evening, i'm gonna attempt to get the rest of the hardware dropped in place and try to boot into bios to make sure we're looking good.

still trying to decide what to do as far as os. i really don't wanna drop $100 on a new win10 license, and i'm not too interested in a linux distro because it's been awhile and i'd be rusty. thinking i can just use the license from the old pc i'm retiring. that's still a thing we can do, right?

I realize you have everything resolved now but remember that there are sites where you can get Win10 keys for cheap. 
Or you can do what I do and pirate Windows. >.>

Edited by Sieg67
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

rtx 3080 vs rtx 2080ti in flight simulator 2020.

overall the 3080 is about 24% faster, but the game still cant do 4k 60fps on optimized settings. 

reviews are coming out for the 3080 and in general they seem to be pretty good. but concerning this game, not as big as increase as in other games. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Distortedreasoning said:

rtx 3080 vs rtx 2080ti in flight simulator 2020.

overall the 3080 is about 24% faster, but the game still cant do 4k 60fps on optimized settings. 

reviews are coming out for the 3080 and in general they seem to be pretty good. but concerning this game, not as big as increase as in other games. 

 

This here.

Another thing to note is again, SLI is dying out even more so. They keep bumping things up each generation. The 900 series cards a 70 card was the minimum, you could still do up to 4 cards. The 1000 cards killed off more than 2. With this generation Nvidia effectively put the penultimate nail in the coffin for SLI by making it where only a 3090 supports SLI, the other cards not having the connector that Nvidia gpus used to have.

One of the things DX12 was supposed to do is utilize all gpus in your pc, without the need for SLI or Crossfire but DX12 is still largely hit or miss in whether it works or not. Not sure if games have leveraged that aspect or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yes sli is pretty much dead now, or at least dormant. i havent seen either company even show off anything for a few years now, probably focusing more on other features like ray tracing and dlss. the 3080 looks like the card to get if you want top performance. 3090 will be faster but also almost double in price for maybe 10% more performance? doesnt seem like the card to get unless you absolutely want the fastest performance. 

 

lots of big navi rumors and leaks coming out too. i haven't seen anything concrete yet but those are looking like they could be good too. not much longer to wait on those either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Distortedreasoning said:

yes sli is pretty much dead now, or at least dormant. i havent seen either company even show off anything for a few years now, probably focusing more on other features like ray tracing and dlss. the 3080 looks like the card to get if you want top performance. 3090 will be faster but also almost double in price for maybe 10% more performance? doesnt seem like the card to get unless you absolutely want the fastest performance. 

 

lots of big navi rumors and leaks coming out too. i haven't seen anything concrete yet but those are looking like they could be good too. not much longer to wait on those either. 

I honestly think there's a strong possibility of AMD blindsiding everyone with big Navi. The current best gaming gpu from them, the 5700 xt has the power of a 2070, it having 40 compute units. In comparison Microsoft has claimed that the upcoming Xbox will have the graphics performance of a 2080 or 2080 ti (don't remember which), that gpu having 52 CUs. When it comes to AMD with big Navi, I highly doubt (unless MS paid them a lot of money) that they would release the best they're capable of for a console launch, especially since the desktop market is where all eyes are. What I'm taking away from this is, if AMD is able to put out a gpu for the next Xbox that competes with a 2080 or 2080 ti, then perhaps they also have something big in store for the PC industry.

Realistically though, if I were to upgrade my graphics card unless I want to buy a new monitor I have to stick with Nvidia, even if the AMD turns out to be better. I have a really nice 2560x1440p monitor with g-sync. Nvidia has enabled free sync support with Nvidia gpus, but you're still not able to do G-sync with an AMD gpu.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Distinct Lunatic said:

I honestly think there's a strong possibility of AMD blindsiding everyone with big Navi. The current best gaming gpu from them, the 5700 xt has the power of a 2070, it having 40 compute units. In comparison Microsoft has claimed that the upcoming Xbox will have the graphics performance of a 2080 or 2080 ti (don't remember which), that gpu having 52 CUs. When it comes to AMD with big Navi, I highly doubt (unless MS paid them a lot of money) that they would release the best they're capable of for a console launch, especially since the desktop market is where all eyes are. What I'm taking away from this is, if AMD is able to put out a gpu for the next Xbox that competes with a 2080 or 2080 ti, then perhaps they also have something big in store for the PC industry.

Realistically though, if I were to upgrade my graphics card unless I want to buy a new monitor I have to stick with Nvidia, even if the AMD turns out to be better. I have a really nice 2560x1440p monitor with g-sync. Nvidia has enabled free sync support with Nvidia gpus, but you're still not able to do G-sync with an AMD gpu.

i can see that happening too which is why i say anyone in the market right now should wait it out. big navi could very well equal the 3080 performance or even if it comes close to it at a smaller power draw. at $1500 i really cant recommend the 3090, just way too expensive. even if you have the money to burn its hard to justify. one big knock i do have against the 3080 is that they only made it 10gb of memory. feels like it should be at least 12gb or even 16gb. big navi should be 16gb at launch. 

 

for me, im gonna wait a bit, the 3080 should have had at least 12gb of memory and the 3090 is just way too expensive for its small performance increase vs the 3080. big navi is still an unknown but if it competes with the 3080, i might go with that. i do agree with preferring nvidia over amd, dlss and ray tracing are gonna start being used more i think and nvidia should still be leading in that department. but if amd can come close to matching, then yeah im getting that instead. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my main pc I'm using a ryzen 7 3700x cpu that I have overclocked to 4.2ghz. My graphics card is 2080 Super with 240mm built in water cooler. I'm really getting the itch and the desire to upgrade my system, but I really shouldn't considering what I have is pretty overkill for me, especially since I don't really play a whole lot of super demanding games lately. I'm very much so a tech enthusiast, and even if I won't fully utilize it I take pride in having a strong PC. The pc I use in my living room I mainly use for my Plex server, for most of this year I've only played games on it when I have friends over. It has a 2700x with my old gtx 1070, it can handle 4k somewhat (my tv in there being a 4k one) but it could be much better. What I'm thinking of doing if I upgrade my cpu to a 4th gen ryzen one is relegate my 3700x to that pc. I do consider it one of my all time favorite cpus (right alongside my old i7 4790k), I don't really want to sell it just to later on buy a cpu to upgrade the living room pc. As for the graphics card, I paid like $900 for mine and I sure as hell don't want to be like people online selling their 2080/s/ti's for $300-500 cause of the 3000 series. If I do decide to get a GPU, I'll likely go for a 3080 (since i have a Newegg credit line for up to $1600) and also relegate my 2080 super to that pc as well, then it would handle 4k gaming significantly better than that current setup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...