UnevenEdge

"In Another World with my Smartphone" is getting an English Dub.

Daos

Now that FUNi is in the business of simuldubs, I'd imagine it'd be hard for them to return to making dubs for shows they missed out on unless another season makes it lucrative, or if no one else has dubbed it yet. And that's taking into account if they even have the rights to dub it.

It's also worth noting that it can take a while if they didn't simuldub it. Monster Musume just got its dub last month.

I blame this more on two popular shows getting snared in the Funiroll deal than any scale of badness.

Even Mr. Osomatsu doesn't have a dub yet, and its second season is coming out in October.

You should watch this thing to see exactly how bad it is. =P

Now that FUNi is in the business of simuldubs, I'd imagine it'd be hard for them to return to making dubs for shows they missed out on unless another season makes it lucrative, or if no one else has dubbed it yet. And that's taking into account if they even have the rights to dub it.

It's also worth noting that it can take a while if they didn't simuldub it. Monster Musume just got its dub last month.

Sentai got that one. They're always super slow.

Yeah, they were super slow with DanMachi as well and that irks me.

I rewatched it a few months ago in English. It took almost two years for them to get it dubbed. That's why it's depressing to see stuff like Smartphone simuldubbed while the good stuff mysteriously ends up taking years.

As a mediocre series (or so I hear), Smartphone can afford a rush job simuldub. DanMachi, on the other hand, is the kind of show that needs time to cultivate a dub that's actually serviceable to the show it's being produced for.

That was my take on this. That Smartphone was cheap and mediocre enough for them to simuldub as quickly as possible. At first, they miss out on what they can and can't dub because there's only so many shows they can cover in their budget when they're juggling Hero Academia, AoT, and the one or two high profile anime.

The ones that slip in the cracks and grow stronger, however, probably become harder to dub as the standards it takes to dub them go beyond just having your standby VAs give whatever performance they can push out. It kills the momentum that Re Zero and Konosuba could've had, but the model places a higher priority on the one or two big budget shows popular here while the cheaper turds can have a quick dub shat out, and whatever doesn't get picked up will be stuck in limbo.

It's not too sustainable if they pick up worse anime and their tent poles get worse, but it's slightly better than Netflix's model of waiting until a show's over and the excitement has died down to release it all in one go.

Funimation was simuldubbing MHA, Love Tyrant. Akashic, Worldend, and AOT all at the same time.  If Funimation gets the rights to it, you can expect a dub in a reasonable time frame.

If Sentai gets it, you're waiting 2 years.

That was my take on this. That Smartphone was cheap and mediocre enough for them to simuldub as quickly as possible. At first, they miss out on what they can and can't dub because there's only so many shows they can cover in their budget when they're juggling Hero Academia, AoT, and the one or two high profile anime.

The ones that slip in the cracks and grow stronger, however, probably become harder to dub as the standards it takes to dub them go beyond just having your standby VAs give whatever performance they can push out. It kills the momentum that Re Zero and Konosuba could've had, but the model places a higher priority on the one or two big budget shows popular here while the cheaper turds can have a quick dub shat out, and whatever doesn't get picked up will be stuck in limbo.

It's not too sustainable if they pick up worse anime and their tent poles get worse, but it's slightly better than Netflix's model of waiting until a show's over and the excitement has died down to release it all in one go.

One of the downsides of Funimation's simuldubs is that a lot of them are one-cour, low-tier titles that are of questionable quality, because they can only focus on 1 show for 12 weeks each, and they lost out on getting the bigger ones to Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc.

Yeah, the FUNi model rides on the idea that they can have one or two good titles, and that makes up for a lot of the other small shows or clunkers that they'd be able to acquire for easy dubs. If there aren't any shows like Hero Academia or AoT in a season, they're going to have a problem if the premium streaming services beat them to the punch for all of the lucrative titles.

Yeah, the FUNi model rides on the idea that they can have one or two good titles, and that makes up for a lot of the other small shows or clunkers that they'd be able to acquire for easy dubs. If there aren't any shows like Hero Academia or AoT in a season, they're going to have a problem if the premium streaming services beat them to the punch for all of the lucrative titles.

I know the severity of this wavers each season. Sometimes they can have many great quality shows for simuldubs at the same time- they even counted Fairy Tail Zero as one of the broadcast dubs I think!  Other times, like right now it seems, they're really not in my radar except for Attack on Titan Season 2, My Hero Academia Season 2 and Sakura Quest which are on-going from LAST season (and the MHA dub is now 2 weeks of a delay), and AoT ended for the time being.  When this all started, I was hesitant because broadcast dubs seemed like a crazy idea for this many EVERY SEASON, and then I felt confident once I saw what they could do after a year, but now I recognize the downsides that come it it.