UnevenEdge

Fate/Grand Order Launches in NA

EyeOfPain

Fate/Grand Order, the Fate mobile game for iOS and Android, launched on Sunday night for North America. It's a free-to-play, and the combat is essentially a kind of extended rock-paper-scissors, with certain Classes of Servants doing more or less damage to certain other Classes.

If you saw the Fate/Grand Order -First Order- OVA, that's basically the same thing as the tutorial scenario. I've only gotten through Fuyuki myself, but the game lets you worry more about strategy, and arranging your units to optimize damage, rather than tapping a screen in rhythm to a song like some of the other mobile anime games.

Announcement trailer:

Anyone else check this out yet? I've already gotten a few of the Servants from Fate/stay night, including 3 different Cu Chulainns, but my only 5* so far is Vlad III.

FGO tips from veterans of the JP version of the game: https://qx20xx.tumblr.com/post/162324751346/pro-fgo-tips-for-scrubs

My Friend Code: 009,436,912

I'll see if it works well with my tablet since my ancient phone can't take more than Record Keeper and Fire Emblem Heroes. If Ishtar is there, I might just have to invest more of my time in these F2P phone games.

You may be disappointed for now: http://fategrandorder.wikia.com/wiki/Ishtar.

Also, I've heard some people with Nexus 6P have the game crash their phone, but I don't know if that extends to other models.

Added a link to a list of FGO tips that was put together by some people I follow on Twitter who are veteran players of the JP version.

I caved in and gave it a try for the tablet. After I rerolled, I got a 5* Saber, so I'm pretty content with it. Also, made my main guy a Shiki. Also also, it's only been a couple missions, and I'm already invested in Mash.

Cool, which Saber, Arturia or Altera?

I'm currently stuck at the end of Rome, so I've started trying to put more levels into my Servants through the Chaldea Gate Daily Quests.

What's your Friend Code (Menu > Friends > Friends Search)? You might find my Berserker handy in some of those first few missions. This might also be a ploy to get more Friend Points.

Altria (aka Arturia), but the one that has the blue F/SN outfit. The free one came in too with the Lily outfit, but I'm not sure what the difference would be aside from one less star on Lily.

Might go through some daily quests to help get some experience and level her, Mash, or Medusa Rider. Not sure how well Marie Antoinette is because I have her in 4*, but am still learning about point allocation.

So far, I believe my user ID is 357,833,206. Not sure if my Saber shows up as the first support, but I'd hope so. I've seen a couple Old Waver supports that help out a lot, but I hear Berserker's great.

Altria, but the one that has the blue F/SN outfit. The free one came in too with the Lily outfit, but I'm not sure what the difference would be aside from one less star on Lily.

Might go through some daily quests to help get some experience and level her, Mash, or Medusa Rider. Not sure how well Marie Antoinette is because I have her in 4*, but am still learning about point allocation.

So far, I believe my user ID is 357,833,206. Not sure if my Saber shows up as the first support, but I'd hope so. I've seen a couple Old Waver supports that help out a lot, but I hear Berserker's great.

Altria's pretty good. Lily, being a freebie they give everyone who signs up before a certain time, doesn't have the best stats. Lily's max ATK/HP is 7726/10623 vs Altria's 11221/15150 (both are listed on the FGO wikia).

I didn't notice at first, but for the Daily Quests, the top four guarantee EXP cards from each enemy, while the bottom four are just the basic currency, which you're probably not struggling for yet. Some Servants have linear growth for each level, and others have an S-curve, so they may gain a lot of stats early on and less later, or gain a small stat boost in the early levels but don't really grow until about halfway to the max level. You can also find that info on the Wikia. Marie has a pretty good Noble Phantasm that damages all enemies and heals you, and her growth is Reverse S so she should gain stats pretty quick early on. She shows up as a Guest Servant in the First Singularity after Fuyuki, so you can also test her out there.

I sent you a friend request, and saw Altria pop up when I confirmed, so I think you're good there.

Awesome! Just got all the free stuff. Not sure if I'll pull at some point soon or if I'll wait until the possibility of the Ryougi Shiki event happening.

Also, I was wondering how worth it it'd be to level up 3-4 stars? Marie's my 4 star, but I'm thinking of using 3 star Kiyohime, Ushiwakamaru, Medusa, or Mash, and am not sure if I should build up one of those or save my experience cards for when I can fit a 2nd 5 star on my team. I'm also not sure how stingy I need to be with my cards because I'm skeptical about burning them all in one go, but many people are higher than 20 while I only just got Arturia around 21.

Awesome! Just got all the free stuff. Not sure if I'll pull at some point soon or if I'll wait until the possibility of the Ryougi Shiki event happening.

Also, I was wondering how worth it it'd be to level up 3-4 stars? Marie's my 4 star, but I'm thinking of using 3 star Kiyohime, Ushiwakamaru, Medusa, or Mash, and am not sure if I should build up one of those or save my experience cards for when I can fit a 2nd 5 star on my team. I'm also not sure how stingy I need to be with my cards because I'm skeptical about burning them all in one go, but many people are higher than 20 while I only just got Arturia around 21.

Mash is good to level up, since she has 0 cost, and will be ascended and gain skills for free as you progress through the story, and there are probably other good reasons.

3-4* can still be good, especially if your level isn't high enough you can equip 5 decent Servants. I'm still using 3* Cu Lancer and Cu Caster at Master level 48, and they'll still save me from a losing battle at the last second. My current party is 3* Mash, 5* Vlad, 4* EMIYA, 3* Cu Caster and 3* Cu Lancer, and as I've gained levels, I've equipped rarer Craft Essences as I can make room. I even used a 2* Assassin for a while in the story, and he killed a boss dragon for me, so it depends on how you want to build your team.

Once you can start doing the 40AP Daily Missions regularly, you can get 7-9 4* EXP cards per clear, so I'd say don't worry too much about running out.

EDIT: Oh, who did you choose for your free 4*?

Sounds like a good start. Hopefully once I clear Fuyumi I'll get a good hang of things.

It was a rough choice between Emiya, Herc, and Carmilla, but I ended up going with Emiya. Might just put the 3 stars on hold and work Emiya into my current team for now  >:D

• 3 weeks later...

Man, I really lucked out on not playing this early for the freebies. Just got started and after getting through the tutorial, I got a 5* berserker. Is that good? And if I don't like it can I re-read?

I think Vlad is still the only 5* Berserker available, and yeah, he's very good. Vlad has been in my starting line-up since I got him, but until you really level him up, it's important to manage his health to keep him on the field, since he takes something like double damage from pretty much every other class. Definitely start throwing whatever EXP cards you get into Vlad first to make the most of him.

I think Vlad is still the only 5* Berserker available, and yeah, he's very good. Vlad has been in my starting line-up since I got him, but until you really level him up, it's important to manage his health to keep him on the field, since he takes something like double damage from pretty much every other class. Definitely start throwing whatever EXP cards you get into Vlad first to make the most of him.

I don't think it's the Vlad berserker. More like Illya's Berserker. Didn't realize it was only a 4*. So looks like I don't have a 5*.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think I was too on-guard about this Christmas event after I cut it close by getting the last Nobu I needed a couple days before Thanksgiving. I already got the tickets and chicken buckets I need to get a souped up Santa Saber Alter. Now if only I didn't need to wait a full week just for her to be unlocked. Still have about 50-something apples in my inventory that will be entirely used to get Ryougi Shiki's assassin form to NP5 and level 100 ASAP.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I skipped most of GUDAGUDA, but made sure to get my chickens and tickets early for a new Saber, only to realize later that she's a Rider, which I already have a ton of 4*s of. 

I'll drop a free 10 roll every once in a while, which got me Anne and Mary, Medea Lily, and Euryale when I came back after months away. Oh, and 2030 is a great CE, I see why I heard hype about it. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, imchapp.in said:

The assets for Astolfo’s artwork showing up during the Christmas event means he should be likely to show up at some point soon. Maybe early 2018. 

The next event is Saber Wars though so that’d be put on-hold

I either missed or forgot that Astolfo is a Rider. I've already got like 4 good Riders leveled up, too. 

But from what I've heard, Astolfo's stats aren't that good anyway. 

1 hour ago, EyeOfPain said:

I either missed or forgot that Astolfo is a Rider. I've already got like 4 good Riders leveled up, too. 

Riders are the last class I need. Between Drake, Bonny/Read, and Santa Alter, the game keeps throwing Riders at me and barely anything else. 

It's a shame. Other than Jack the Ripper, alot of the Apocrypha servants are on the lower tier. I'd still take Mordrid and some other 5 star non-Artoria Sabers, but I'm starved of good reps from other classes than Rider, Saber, and the seasonal free servants.

Yeah, don't know why Riders seem to be so common, maybe because literally any hero can qualify as a Rider if they touched a horse or vehicle of any kind during their life. 

I still need a better Lancer and Assassin, since the best I have right now a Cu and Hassan. A better Saber would also be nice, because all I really have right now are Arturia Lily and Siegfried, or old dude *3s. 

4 hours ago, EyeOfPain said:

I got a Mordred last night. Leveled her up to 60, but I don't have the statues or fangs to get her any higher, but at least I can see her face now. 

Pulled her from a single summon ticket, too. 

Luckyyyyyyyyyyyy! :D

Yeah, it takes a while to get to the upper levels with a 5 star (It wasn't until maybe sometime between GudaGuda and Christmas where I finally got mine to 90), but being able to ascend them to 60 is pretty good for the time being. 

I'm hassling over where to pull on. I've been saving for Raikou, but I've got an itching pulling finger, and kept using tickets to try to get Mordred. I think I'm going to try to shift my focus on Brynhildr or maybe Jeanne Alter, and then save until the summer.

Edited by imchapp.in

11 hours ago, imchapp.in said:

Luckyyyyyyyyyyyy! :D

Yeah, it takes a while to get to the upper levels with a 5 star (It wasn't until maybe sometime between GudaGuda and Christmas where I finally got mine to 90), but being able to ascend them to 60 is pretty good for the time being. 

I'm hassling over where to pull on. I've been saving for Raikou, but I've got an itching pulling finger, and kept using tickets to try to get Mordred. I think I'm going to try to shift my focus on Brynhildr or maybe Jeanne Alter, and then save until the summer.

I finally got my Vlad, whom I pulled in the first week, to 90 around GudaGuda, so I figured it'd be a while, but I used a bunch of my resources Sieg and Lily in anticipation of Saber Wars. Thankfully, that's going to help, since I already have the fangs I need for the lv70 ascension, just need the statues. 

Did a 10 pull in hopes of X earlier this morning, but no luck. At least I got a few CEs that will help with SW. 

On 12/29/2017 at 6:32 PM, EyeOfPain said:

From what my friend told me, he's one of the worst 4-star servants but I don't care. He's my favorite.

It would've been nice for the Apocrypha folks like Fran and Astolfo to have been better servants in the game, but they have a weird way of gauging which servants are worth making great. Like how Artoria ends up being one of the most basic 5 stars despite being the poster-girl of the Fate series.

I'm all messy because now I'm interested in seeing if we'll get the Valentines Banner so I could get another try at getting Tamamo Caster. I struck out around Halloween, but would probably want her the most out of the pre-Summer banners. It'd probably be better for me to save and channel my trigger happiness towards gacha simulators, especially since I'm FTP for everything other than for guaranteed 5 banners. I guess I'll figure that out when I cross that road.

8 minutes ago, imchapp.in said:

It would've been nice for the Apocrypha folks like Fran and Astolfo to have been better servants in the game, but they have a weird way of gauging which servants are worth making great. Like how Artoria ends up being one of the most basic 5 stars despite being the poster-girl of the Fate series.

I'm all messy because now I'm interested in seeing if we'll get the Valentines Banner so I could get another try at getting Tamamo Caster. I struck out around Halloween, but would probably want her the most out of the pre-Summer banners. It'd probably be better for me to save and channel my trigger happiness towards gacha simulators, especially since I'm FTP for everything other than for guaranteed 5 banners. I guess I'll figure that out when I cross that road.

Still haven't dropped any money on quartz, maybe if it was under $30 for a single 10 roll. 

Been working my way through the event quests, Drake and Jeanne were especially tough, but I think I'll be able to grind the one between those at least. Think I'll wait until I get some more bonus ATK CEs before I tackle anything higher. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

After a little over a year of playing, my team is looking gorgeous.

The only character I’m looking to pull for the moment is Hokusai in another year, but I’d be cool with some yolo pulls for Okita, Nitocris, and Scheherazade. 

I’m very content though now that I have Raikou on my team and grailed her to 100 for waifu reasons. Getting Zhuge and Lancer Artoria shortly after was also a welcome surprise. 

A2D677D7-C978-4949-978F-F0EB4BFEA024.png

Edited by imchapp.in