UnevenEdge

What do you collect?

Chapinator_X

Might as well give this folder some traffic by opening up about any collection hobbies we might have. I also noticed a thread like this on the last forum, so might as well bring it over.

I've got a large stack of restaurant menus I collect. Since I was young, I made it a hobby to collect them, and create almost a library of all of the places I've eaten at. Whether they still exist or not adds to the mythos behind it, but it's a hobby I've always had a passion for.

As a kid, I collected drink containers and soda cans, but I recycled them all around highschool.

Mugs(my Pokeball and Wonder Woman ones are my favorites)

Anime that I want to rewatch

Books

Glass/Crystal figurines

Lamps

Metal lunch boxes(I hate that other than DBZ, you can only find new anime ones nowadays in a $500 collector's set).

Fantasy statues

Until I have a steady income, I stay the hell away from Sailor Moon, Harry Potter, and The Nightmare Before Christmas stuff because those threetwo things sap away any willpower that I have.

Edited by DragonSinger

I collect older games, but have cut back drastically since I had to part with the majority of my collection in 2012. Otherwise I collect T-Shirts, which I predominantly get from thrift shopping and online grab bags. I often impose rules to make the hunt more thrilling, like no new shirts for more than $9 apiece.

The most consoles I've had at one time was 38. Here are my duplicate systems from that time:

8V52w22.jpg

HmcaD5E.jpg

Some of my favorites from the shirt/clothing collection:

Captain America Shirt - $6

dev4uiIl.jpg

Wreck-It-Ralph Production Team Shirt - $2

io8xij0l.jpg

Spider Gwen Jacket - $1

SBFmGYPl.jpg

Dead Rising Official Shirt - $2

qjIqQhal.jpg

Mobile Suit Gundam Shirt - $3

wJgxZCUl.jpg

Cowboy Bebop Shirt - $6

yqK29lZl.jpg

Resident Evil Jill Shirt - $6

LPyKXcvl.jpg

Metroid Samus Shirt - $6

xihKqbkl.jpg

• Like 1

I want that Gundam tee soooooooooo baaadddd. I would fight a whale for it. These days, I collect nothing more than a steam library of never before played games. :/. For a bit, and I mean a small bit, I used to collect fire king tea cups and uranium stained glasses.

I want that Gundam tee soooooooooo baaadddd. I would fight a whale for it. These days, I collect nothing more than a steam library of never before played games. :/. For a bit, and I mean a small bit, I used to collect fire king tea cups and uranium stained glasses.

I was shocked to find it myself. It was just chilling on the rack at a thrift shop. It quickly went into my shirt rotation.

• 2 weeks later...

As a Kid I collected round objects. Don't know why but round things were pleasing to hold and look at. Buttons, Marbles, a perfectly round 5lb hunk of unpolished marble that I found while breaking open another stone. I also collected keychains for a while.  When I was 7-12 I was into Pokemon like a damn drug. It's still weird to think back at how insanely happy pokemon made me as a kid. From playing the game to collecting cards everything felt like it was a massive achievement. Getting through rock tunnel not knowing that flash was a thing, beating the rival, evolving a pokemon for the first time. I actually wish I could feel that way about games or anything in general anymore. When I was a teen it was animal skulls, either ones I would find in the woods or off of animals that I hunted. If they weren't already skulls I would just place them in a cage on the ground and let the bugs do their work. I also collected Horror movies for a time. It has become more moot overtime due to streaming, and commentary/special features aren't as good as they were in the early 2k. I now buy anime for series that I enjoyed, but I wouldn't fully consider it collecting.

• 3 weeks later...

I like building/displaying model kits, particularly Master Grade Gundam kits. Also car kits, spaceships, pop culture vehicles.. as a kid I'd pursue various action figures but nowadays I'm mostly interested in things you build. Like I'd rather find a Bayonetta model kit than an action figure, for example. There's always more kits I wanna get, like when I like a certain series I'd like a kit from it, though I haven't gotten anything in a while. Last Gundam kit mighta been MG Epyon.

It bugs me when the figures have more features than the kits though, like how the Eureka Seven figures have the transforming feature but not the model kits.

• 1 month later...

After numerous moves in my early 20's and letting random roommates borrow things to never see them again my DVD collection died and I haven't bothered to bring it back.

I do like to collect video games and consoles.  I still have all my old ones and add to their collection if I see a good deal. 

I like to collect Books but I have no problem loaning them out if I think they're a great book and someone wants to read it, I just never expect to get it back. 

I did recently start collecting shot glasses from places I travel.  They're nice little mementos of good times, I've got one from the House on the Rock, Mackinaw Island, Boston, Kansas City and like 4 others from Missouri.

I have to say the Austin one is my favorite though, that one has the best story. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Former Numismatist

Former Philatelist

Former Vinyl Audiophile

I've unintentionally collected business cards (my own) and awards from former employers (anniversary pins & accomplishment awards).

Lately trying to collect books written by my Aunts & Uncles.

I collect flies so I can eat them later. Being a horny toad is the life, ain't it?

lol But seriously, I guess I'm gonna start up my guitar collection again. I already have my eye set on a couple virtually identical Harley Benton telecaster-style guitars. The difference is in the bridge of each one. One is a hardtail bridge, the other has a tremolo (whammy bar) bridge. The hardtail is only $229 plus tax and shipping. The other is almost $270 plus tax and shipping.

• Thanks 1

On 1/3/2023 at 8:59 PM, Poofy said:

I keep all my movie ticket stubs. Does that count? the oldest one is the matrix reloaded which means i've been doing it 20 years

Don't think I ever got to show you, but I managed to get ahold of a ticket stub from the Japanese release of Starship Troopers. Normally it would be a very boring thing to own, but their ticket stubs, at least in this instance, were something else. 

i-img640x480-1644993799icd0e71746.jpg.becdbdfbde1def223d7569155640c682.jpg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, GunStarHero said:

Don't think I ever got to show you, but I managed to get ahold of a ticket stub from the Japanese release of Starship Troopers. Normally it would be a very boring thing to own, but their ticket stubs, at least in this instance, were something else. 

i-img640x480-1644993799icd0e71746.jpg.becdbdfbde1def223d7569155640c682.jpg

way better looking than any of my domestic stubs.

Some of them the ink has even decomposed and it's pretty much a blank paper square

12 minutes ago, Poofy said:

way better looking than any of my domestic stubs.

Some of them the ink has even decomposed and it's pretty much a blank paper square

Likewise. And nowadays, they're made of receipt paper, which is crap.

GunStarHero: That's friggin' rad about the retro consoles! I bought both my PS2 and PS4 second hand. And I absolutely LOOOOOOOOOOVE my PS4. Best purchase I ever made, and I got it off Mercari!

Edited by hornedlizardman
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/14/2017 at 11:03 AM, Chapinator_X said:

Might as well give this folder some traffic by opening up about any collection hobbies we might have.

So these things are supposed to be things we're actively collecting then?

Because I've got a collection of wigs that I never intended to collect.  But I do collect anime paraphernalia and cardboard...cause I craft a lot.

• Like 1

Books. I have lots of books. I have my own frickin' library. :D 

T-shirts. There really wasn't such a thing as 'graphic tees' when I was really little and when there were, I was told such things were pointless. So now I pretty much only have shirts with weird shit on them. :D I was wearing a 'Stark Industries' one earlier today, yesterday was the Goonies and last week I wore one with a cat butt on it that said 'Neuter is Cuter'. 

Foreign coins. I work with money daily so the opportunity comes up every so often to buy a weird or old coin that someone accidentally spent. Mostly kiwis. I think the oldest is currently an 1890 penny. 

Nerd shit. I've got a small army of Sailor Moon things currently being flanked by [ adult swim ] randoms [ mostly Venture Brothers ] with Jujitsu Keisen and MHA creeping up the sides. That's just at a quick glance from the keyboard.

Cat stuff. Both themed and toys because Bitchcakes is spoiled. Also her whiskers which I use as paintbrushes. Also cat hair but that's not on purpose. 

• Like 1