UnevenEdge

Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096, Episode 22: "Return"

The idea of Newtypes was known right from the beginning.

http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Zeon_Zum_Deikun

Doesn't seem like it from what Bright said. She's probably got some considerable jail time ahead of her.

Care to summarize?  Because people that have seen previous UC stuff have said the same thing.

Not sure what you're basing that on.  It sounded more to me like he was being insubordinate.  And what of Albert?  It would have been nice if we saw what happened to the characters after the fact, instead of the show just ending in the middle of it like that.  It seriously feels like an episode was dropped or Toonami cut something. :D

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because it's not an "ending" (especially since they went for the "new beginning" style lol), it's just the end of this particular installment.

I mean it's UC, it's kind of ongoing.

But this installment didn't even end.  We don't know what happened to any of the characters.  They found the box and read the contents and the show was just lolthatsit.

colony laser fired as the villains tried a last ditch effort to keep the truth buried.

the culmination of Banagher and Riddhe's Newtype evolution comes in the form of a psycho field that does what no other force in Gundam had ever been able to do: stop a colony laser beam

as a result, all the remaining good guys survive and Mineva is able to broadcast the crucial truth about Laplace's Box to the entire Earth Sphere

The selfish Vists have their pan fail and are taken into custody by Bright Noa, the Earth Federation's last righteous man of high rank

Banagher reaches his full potential as a Newtype and speaks to Marida Cruz who, from the other side, relays what humans will eventually be able to do with a beautiful speech

despite becoming a perfected natural Newtype, Banagher hears Riddhe's pleas and, after disabling the approaching enemy fleet, decides to return to Mineva's side and live happily ever after

how n earth is that an unsatisfying ending?

That colony laser should have killed everybody, or at least Riddhe.  Banagher and several other "good guys" are annoying as fuck, but we're supposedly supposed to like them.  But Riddhe?  Are we really supposed to forgive all his bullshit just like that?  Please.  Nevermind his motivations and most of what he did made no sense, and he wasn't the only one.

The box was bullshit.  How was anyone supposed to know that Newtypes could come into existence before the fact?  And why would anyone get special powers just from living in space?  And why should they be given preferential treatment in running the government?  That's some kind of divine rule bullshit.

What makes you think they were taken into custody?  Noa gave them some stern remarks.  That's about it.  I didn't see anyone get rounded up and hauled off.

That was whatever.  The Newtype stuff is silly.  It was nice to see Marida though again, I guess.  Still think her taking forever to die and give a separate parting speech to everyone as a ghost was silly, though.

When did that happen?  All we saw was him turn back to normal and disable the enemy fleet with some overpowered ability.  The show forgot to wrap things up and give some semblance of an epilogue.  Either that or the writers just threw their hands up.  How much total time have Banagher and Audrey spent together anyway?

It's had so many shows.... so I keep trying to see exactly what it is that people like about it.

But it's like people that watch golf... I just don't get what the appeal is.

Is it just that people like mechas and they'll tolerate any nonsensical plot as long as it delivers mecha fights?

Well, this show was fucking awful.  Gundam is notorious for pushing philosophy bullshit on the viewer and preaching but this show just went off the rails and became completely nonsensical.  Not to mention most of the characters were annoying. 

Maybe.  I have no idea.  Even people I've heard from who liked Gundam, even UC Gundam stuff, can't stand this show.  The ratings haven't been stellar, either.  For me, all the pretty robot battles won't make up for characters and a story you don't care about.

I liked IBO because it seemed to buck the trend of the sissy Gundam main character and shoveling preachy bullshit onto the viewer.  It was the only Gundam I liked besides G Gundam.  You might like that one.  It's over-the-top and fun.  For example...

That colony laser should have killed everybody, or at least Riddhe.  Banagher and several other "good guys" are annoying as fuck, but we're supposedly supposed to like them.  But Riddhe?  Are we really supposed to forgive all his bullshit just like that?  Please.  Nevermind his motivations and most of what he did made no sense, and he wasn't the only one.

The box was bullshit.  How was anyone supposed to know that Newtypes could come into existence before the fact?  And why would anyone get special powers just from living in space?  And why should they be given preferential treatment in running the government?  That's some kind of divine rule bullshit.

What makes you think they were taken into custody?  Noa gave them some stern remarks.  That's about it.  I didn't see anyone get rounded up and hauled off.

That was whatever.  The Newtype stuff is silly.  It was nice to see Marida though again, I guess.  Still think her taking forever to die and give a separate parting speech to everyone as a ghost was silly, though.

When did that happen?  All we saw was him turn back to normal and disable the enemy fleet with some overpowered ability.  The show forgot to wrap things up and give some semblance of an epilogue.  Either that or the writers just threw their hands up.  How much total time have Banagher and Audrey spent together anyway?

you don't like redemption stories? Riddhe's motivations were pretty much the sort of oversensitivity and selfishness that came with being a young man from a powerful family with a major secret. didn't find it all that confusing.

the charter does not refer to newtypes. they said over and over that it was a coincidence. it isn't necessarily foretelling the appearance of newtypes but imagining that space living might change humans and human thought.

as far as the newtypes themselves, their power and why living in space miht affect them, have you not seen gundam before. the whole evolution is told gradually throughut first gundam, zeta gundam, char's counteattack nd other titles. unicrn is just the culmination f that.

you can infer that Madame Vist-Carbine was going to be taken into custody as the military officer who had witnessed her crimes firsthand ordered her to follow him into another room for questioning. that's how it starts.

and you an also infer from Banagher returning to his normal form after Riddhe's exclamation, mumbling Audrey's name and then turning back toward the Nahel Argama that he was going back to her. though implied, that, too was fairly obvious.

you don't like redemption stories? Riddhe's motivations were pretty much the sort of oversensitivity and selfishness that came with being a young man from a powerful family with a major secret. didn't find it all that confusing.

the charter does not refer to newtypes. they said over and over that it was a coincidence. it isn't necessarily foretelling the appearance of newtypes but imagining that space living might change humans and human thought.

as far as the newtypes themselves, their power and why living in space miht affect them, have you not seen gundam before. the whole evolution is told gradually throughut first gundam, zeta gundam, char's counteattack nd other titles. unicrn is just the culmination f that.

you can infer that Madame Vist-Carbine was going to be taken into custody as the military officer who had witnessed her crimes firsthand ordered her to follow him into another room for questioning. that's how it starts.

and you an also infer from Banagher returning to his normal form after Riddhe's exclamation, mumbling Audrey's name and then turning back toward the Nahel Argama that he was going back to her. though implied, that, too was fairly obvious.

Yeah but what the fuck was Riddhe trying to do?  It seemed like that changed constantly.  Pretty much nothing he did made sense.  He would blather on about something, then blather on about something else and go in a completely different direction.  So since he behaved obnoxiously and nonsensically, and really wasn't likable at all to begin with, not sure why I would care if he got redeemed.  Besides, he killed Marida, one of the only likable characters in the show, so screw him.

But it still said those people should be given preferential treatment and given prominent positions in the government.  It's some kind of divine rule thing, which seems to run counter to what the show had been preaching up to that point.  Everyone should be treated equally!  Except these guys!  They should be the masters of everyone! 

And why would living in space do that?  I mean, I know this is supposed to be sci-fi, but I thought Gundam was usually going for a more hard sci-fi.  I seem to recall one of the older series going to the trouble of explaining that mobile suits could be feasible due to some super-light alloy being developed.  The space ships, tech, colonies, everything else seems to be fairly realistic and believable.  So it seems silly to go to all that trouble to establish and ground the world like that and then PSYCHIC POWERS BECAUSE SPACE!

I watched at least parts of the original series and Char's Counterrattack.  As I said before, I don't care for Gundam in general because it gets really preachy and the characters tend to be annoying.  Banagher is pretty much a crystallization and epitome of these annoying whiny characters that scream shit like WHY CAN'T EVERYONE JUST UNDERSTAND EACH OTHER WAAAAAAAHAAHAAAA.  So yeah I didn't tend to watch most of the series that would come on.  I'd watch for a bit and it'd be annoying and I'd drop them.  Only watched a couple episodes of that one on SyFy after I realized it was the same old annoying shit.  There was another series that had the cliche annoying plotline of people from opposing sides falling in love.  Dropped that one.  Only one I watched all the way through back then was G Gundam.  For the past several years I've been a completionist so I finished this show even though I didn't like it.  Was the same way with IBO but I surprisingly ended up liking that one for the most part.  Like I said before, IBO seemed to buck a lot of annoying Gundam tropes.  So yeah I haven't watched most of these shows in their entirety to completely see the Newtype thing.  Besides, the 100 seconds recap at the beginning said we didn't need to watch the other series to enjoy this one. =3

Fair enough.  Would've been better to see it actually happen, though.

Again, it would have been nice to actually see it.  The show just cuts off right in the middle of things, instead of completing them, much less even giving us a little epilogue "where are they now" sort of thing.  Oh well.